Monday, January 4, 2010

Making resolutions

I used to hate New Year's resolutions. I guess I was too afraid I wouldn't succeed, but now, I don't think I could start a new year without making a fresh list. I never accomplish everything on the list, but I am finally OK with that. I think the benefit of making resolutions is that I will at least accomplish some of the goals and that is has to be a good thing.

Of course it is one thing to make a list and quite another to put my list out there for all to see. It took me all weekend to make the decision that I would share my list. I do think it will increase my motivation -- and I always need motivating. I don't know how many things I will complete, but I will give it a try.

This list is not in any particular order but I thought I would begin with the area I had the greatest trouble in last year -- becoming more organized.

1. Become more organized (spend at least 30 minutes each day on organization). Create a home organization book with home-cleaning charts. Keep it simple and see what develops.
2. Clean my basement.
3. Complete a spring cleaning and fall cleaning of my home. Includes window-washing.
4. De-clutter my home.
5. Have a yard sale when the weather gets better. I have never before had a yard sale. Use the money for a special purpose.
6. Lose 20 pounds. I lost 20 this past year and I need to finish the job.
7. Read at least 10 new books.
8. Blog 5 days a week. Don't miss a week day.
9. Set up an art studio. I had gotten a start on this last year, but I didn't finish.
10. Paint at least 5 new paintings.
11. Develop 20 new healthy recipes that also taste good.
12. Write in my journal every day.
13. Exercise at least 3 days a week. Treadmill and yoga.
14. Design greeting cards for each holiday and personal note cards.
15. Have Christmas shopping done by Thanksgiving.
16. Make a project to give away at Christmas.
17. Develop a personal list -- 10 personal goals that help me to become a better person.
18. Become a better designer at work. Develop goals and make sure they are met.
19. Learn a new skill or craft.
20. Refinish two pieces of furniture that I already have and need to complete.
21. Improve my gardening skills. (Includes planting a garden for all seasons.)

Have any suggestions, or want to share your list? Just comment or send me an email at deberah@newnan.com.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, your list makes me tired! (But I wish you much success!)

    I am trying something new this year -- I am doing "rolling resolutions," and rolling them out one at a time on a monthly basis. For instance, "devote more time to Bible reading and prayer" is the one for January. I will not "officially" work on weight loss until February, then I'll focus on a new one in March, etc.

    ReplyDelete