Thursday, December 1, 2011

Holly Berry Wreaths


It is the perfect year to make a holly berry wreath! That is because there are so many berries. I have never seen anything like it.

I've read that the reason for this abundance of pretty red berries is because the weather conditions were absolutely perfect for berries -- and acorns. The rain came at just the perfect time. It was a bit dry later, but during the time the holly trees were making berries, we had plenty of rain.

Later though there wasn't as much rain, there was enough to keep a multitude of berries on the trees and growing.

My sister made this pretty wreath and she sent me these photos of her progress.

On thing you MUST do when working with holly is to wear gloves.


This wreath was made from a plastic wrapped hay wreath. She added picks onto each small holly branch by attaching florist picks with wire onto each holly cluster and inserting them into the straw wreath. She began with the outside of the wreath and filled in with holly in a circular pattern, until all of the holly covers the straw wreath. (Above is a photo of the wreath with holly cuttings inserted into the wreath using florist pics.)

I don't think I would say it is easy because I know it took hours of meticulous work to wrap all the holly cuttings with pick wires and floral tape but the results are just beautiful.


I wouldn't mind having one either. She did a great job.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a gorgeous wreath! It must have taken a good amount of time but it sure looks pretty. I've noticed there are so many red berry plants, very nice to look at. (but keep those gloves handy!) Thanks for sharing,
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. FANTASTIC! So Pretty. Your sister needs to start a florist shop.
    charlotte

    ReplyDelete