Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A radish bouquet

Last night we went to the garden to pick a few items. The radishes are growing by leaps and bounds. I think I mentioned earlier that I am tickled to have radishes at all, since we have not been successful at growing them in the past.

I like using them in salads but my favorite radish use is in sandwiches. These radishes are sweet at first and then they have a slightly hot, peppery flavor. I just slice them up and put as many as I can between two slices of bread loaded with mayonnaise. I always add lettuce. These make great tea sandwiches, too.

Interestingly, the green leafy tops can be cooked and eaten just like turnip or mustard greens. I saved mine to try in a dish before the week is out. I think they are quite strong so a little will go a long way. They would probably be better used with another green or added to a stir-fry.

I think radishes make a beautiful type of spring bouquet and a very pretty garnish.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! I will have to try a radish sandwich one day, and I certainly never knew the tops were edible. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete