Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A week of grilling: Grilled mushrooms

In honor of summer, sunshine and warm weather we are having a week of grilling recipes. Today we are grilling mushrooms -- one of my favorites.


My husband, our official family grill chef, has graciously agreed to cook the elements of a grilled meal to share all this week and he began yesterday with grilled zucchini.


First wash and slice the mushrooms in half. Spear onto small skewers. Brush on grilling sauce for flavor and to keep the mushrooms from sticking to the grill. My grilling sauce recipe is:


Grilling Sauce


1/2 cup olive oil (or if you prefer, use a lighter oil like canola or almond oil)

juice of 1 lemon

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

2 large cloves of garlic

Salt and pepper to taste

Add any other spice you like (my family doesn't like too many spices in grilled food so this recipe is not spicy)

A little extra chopped garlic would be really tasty on these mushrooms


Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Salt and pepper the vegetable to be grilled, brush on the sauce, then place on a hot grill. Store the leftover sauce in the refrigerator and use to brush on other vegetables.


Mushrooms are a little harder than some vegetables to grill, because they get very watery and can flame when turning the skewers.

I think it is hard to overcook mushrooms. I like them raw or uncooked so they are good lightly cooked, medium or well done. It would probably be good for your guests if they were cooked more than less. Mushrooms have a strong, musty flavor and some people will say "no thanks" for that reason. I try to cook my food like I like it and hope others like it that way to. That has been pretty successful for me for the most part. I like my cooked mushrooms pretty done, so ...

I think these look pretty good. Tomorrow: Grilled potatoes and onions!

3 comments:

  1. Love, love mushrooms!! will try to grill them next time, these look great!
    Rhonda Spooner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these look delicious! (We've had a busy week with school, so I'm 'catching up' on your site - it looks so good!) Great photos - thanks for sharing, Joanie

    ReplyDelete