Thursday, June 3, 2010

My favorite summer dish


It begins with the perfect onion. This onion is the first one we have been able to grow since we began our garden so it looks more than perfect to us. It was about three inches in diameter and smelled just like summer. If we had let it grow, it might have been twice the size it was, but we also wouldn't have had the green tops to cook -- and they are quite tasty.


We chopped the onion, and the tops, coarsely.


I then put the onions in a pan, preheated, with two tablespoons of oil on medium-high heat.


While the onions caramelized, I cut my squash -- also from my garden. I like to mix zucchini and crookneck squash.


I then put in my squash on medium-high and stir often so it doesn't stick.


I don't usually add water to my vegetables and I like most of them to get a little brown around the edges. The onions are already browned a bit and the squash will get brown, too, but I have to stir it often.


I turn it down to medium, add salt and pepper and cover with a lid for five minutes or so. I like the squash to be a little tender but still firm. The cooking time is about 20 minutes.

We eat this dish often in the summer and we really love it. I think we will be eating it pretty often this summer because we have so many blooms on our squash plants.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious: your sauteed vegetables look so good. We are eating more healthily and this recipe does the trick. Too bad you can't get this dish in most restaurants, yummy! Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhhhhh!! Wish I was there for this one. My favorite veggie dish (and I do love my veggies!)!

    ReplyDelete