Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Time to dust off the canning supplies

I am in the process of collecting canning supplies to begin my summer canning. It is kind of difficult to have a full job and preserve food from a garden. It's kind of like working all day and pulling a second shift at night. Later on when you have the canned and frozen vegetables to serve, it really is worth it.

Here is a tip for you. This past weekend, the Red Plum insert in the paper had coupons for Ball and Kerr canning jars and lids. I used the coupons last year and saved big on the jars I bought. I will admit I was pretty excited to get that savings again this year. I also read that the jars are now on sale at some WalMart stores and also at Tractor Supply.

Of course I will reuse the jars I have left from last year. My daughter-in-law just brought me some more jars to use, that I think she got at a yard sale. That was very sweet. Looks like I won't have to buy too many jars but I will need lids and rings. Some family members I gave some canned food last year are returning their empties in anticipation of canning season. I really appreciate that, too.


These are some of my green beans from last year. I think I only have one can left. The great thing is that I have blooms on my green beans so I will have some to can very soon.


My husband has already told me I will have to make some relish again this year. The relish was a big hit. I am hoping to have cabbage from my garden to use this year.


Of course I will can more hot peppers and more pickles. That goes without saying.

The jars can also be used for many things around the house. A couple of years ago, at a cookie swap, one of the creative gift ideas was a jar filled with a dozen cookies and tied with a colorful ribbon. I often store homemade salad dressing in some of the empty jars I always have. They are easy to clean and clean up nicely in the dishwasher, plus they store well in the basement or a garage shelf because they are easy to clean up.

So get your coupons, dust off your pressure cooker and start canning. I will be ready when my veggies are. (I hope.)

2 comments:

  1. Too bad the garden can't politely wait and come in between magazine issues so you can actually have some rest! I've never canned but keep meaning to give it a try -- I'm so afraid I'll poison us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, I am too but so far, we have always survived!

    ReplyDelete