Tuesday, June 21, 2011


A couple of nights ago my husband asked if I would like for him to make a cucumber and tomato salad and I will admit that I was little surprised. Even though he is a great grill-cook and sometimes a good baker, he hasn't really been one to try new recipes of the vegetable variety. That is usually my domain.

Of course I immediately said yes and he made a wonderful salad with cucumbers from our garden. He actually got this simple recipe from our daughter-in-law last week while I was out of town. If you like balsamic vinegar like I do, you will love this salad. It is a little different and adds a more complex flavor, but if you don't like balsamic vinegar, try apple cider vinegar. Both will be good, but I think the balsamic vinegar adds a little extra punch to the flavors of the tomatoes and cukes. This would be even better if more of our garden tomatoes had been ripe.


This is a very simple recipe and took only minutes to prepare. My husband peeled some of the cucumbers and didn't peel others. I asked him why and he said he really didn't have an answer. He kind of likes them peeled. I guess you should prepare them the way you like, as he did!


Easy Cucumber and Tomato Salad

2 cup cucumbers, cut into cubes
1 cup tomatoes, cut into cubes
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil

Cut cucumbers and tomatoes into cubes. Put in a bowl or serving dish. Add salt and pepper, then pour vinegar and oil over ingredients. This recipe tastes good the next day, too.

The balsamic vinegar will make the vegetables turn a bit dark over time. I am not bothered by this but it might not look as pretty if serving to guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment