Thursday, October 20, 2011

Red berries on an antique wall



I work in a historic downtown area, so it is not surprising that I would see some surprising things on my way to work. In an area like this, the buildings may crumble but some of the plants remain.

What I see as an old ivy plant has the prettiest profusion of red berries I have ever seen on a plant. I have ivy in my front yard and never have I seen berries on my ivy. That is why I was so surprised when I saw this plant creeping over an antique wall and had to get closer for a photo. All I had with me was my camera phone but I need to go back very soon with my camera to see if I can get some better shots. Pretty things like this don't always last very long.

I have purchased fake ivy at the craft store and it had red berries but this ivy just blew me away it was so lovely and untouched. Click on it yourself to see all the lovely berries. Incidentally, the berries around the edge are dark blue and black.

It made me think of our upcoming issue of Newnan-Coweta Magazine and the feature on "Red Berries," just not the kind I have pictured here. I guess it is a reminder of cool weather and the end of harvest, but I think of it as one of those lovely surprises we can find when we just look for them, and one you should see when you pass by it every day.

If you have any more information on ivy  -- since I apparently don't know much about it, I would love to read your comment.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Deberah, I love your photo today!
    I clicked on it and the berries are so vibrant.
    If you ever do a calendar, you'll have lots of beautiful photos to choose from.
    Have a great day, Joanie

    ReplyDelete