Thursday, October 17, 2013

New crop: Tomatillos


This year we planted tomatillos in our garden for the first time. We planted them a bit late and I really didn't expect to have a very good harvest. That was true at first but then the tomatillos began to grow and grow and mature.

They remind me of tomatoes but the seeds bother me and there is a slightly bitter aftertaste. I was delighted to have them.


The only real problem I have is this--I don't know how to use tomatillos. Not a clue. They are an unusual and unfamiliar plant. At least they are very easy to peel. I discarded the husks I easily peeled from the fruit into my compost pile and then looked for a recipe. I found one from the Ball Blue Book canning book that I loosely used for my recipe.


I roasted the tomatillos in the oven along with a few chili peppers, chopped them all up and then used this recipe.

Tomatillo Salsa
2 pounds of roasted tomatillos, chopped
3 chili peppers, roasted, then chopped
2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
Juice of one lime (approximately 1/2 cup)
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all together and put into jar or air tight container. Allow flavors to blend in the refrigerator at least overnight. This may be put into hot jars and processed for 15 minutes in a boiling water canner. Makes one quart of salsa.

I am planning on using this for my fish tacos. I think it will be a complimentary flavor for the fish.

The jury is still out about my tomatillos but I must say they were a big success in my garden. I can't wait to try the salsa on my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment