Friday, June 5, 2009

The harvest begins


Today was very exciting to us because we began harvesting squash. It was really a good day for picking. We had been anticipating it for about a week but we were rewarded by a nice basket of zucchini and yellow squash (plus a bell pepper and a banana pepper) and we celebrated by making a great meal, including a mixed squash stir fry.

I plan to freeze squash and possibly find a new recipe for squash casserole. I would like to try one that is reasonably healthy and that is something I have not been able to find. Then there is that zucchini cupcake recipe I just downloaded from Martha Stewart Living that I have to try. Surely I can be creative enough to come up with a few other ways to prepare squash.


For now I will be satisfied with squash that is fresh from the garden. To make it I usually just pour a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and add at least half a Vidalia onion, cut in rings. I let that simmer a few minutes and then pour the sliced squash on top. I simmer for about 30 minutes more on medium until the squash is well cooked. This is similar to the way my mother and grandmother cooked it. Sometimes I drain off some of the liquid and reduce the rest by leaving off the lid of the pan while simmering. I salt and pepper it well and that is all you need. A deep south, southern, melt in your mouth tradition.

The shocking thing is that I hated squash as a child.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! It's nice to see the garden coming to fruition!

    ReplyDelete