Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Recipe redo: Making dairy-free "cream cheese" frosting


Last week I tried to make a dairy-free version of cream cheese frosting. It is a southern favorite and a favorite with my family. I wasn't worried so much about the sugar, even though that is only good in moderation and I don't think I really consider this moderation. My goal was to take out the milk so that those who can't have milk products can have a reasonable version of a good old southern recipe. This is great on carrot cake, applesauce cake and just about any kind of spice cake.

The main change was to substitute a soy based cream cream, in this case Tofutti cream cheese, for the regular cream cheese. It does have less calories and fat, no saturated fat and it is a good replacement for regular cream cheese frosting. Surprisingly, my husband liked it. I usually try to gauge his reaction when I try to create something new and if he likes it, I think it is a success.

It is easy enough to make and I think a good redo recipe.

Mock "cream cheese" frosting

8 ounces soy cream cheese (I used Tofutti but there are some even better brands at makets like Whole Foods. Make sure you use a casein-free version)
1/4 cup vegan margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
1 (16 ounce) box Confectioners' sugar plus extra on humid days. It could take as much as 1 cup or more, depending on the weather. Add until it is of a good spreading consistency
Optional: A pinch of salt

Mix soy cream cheese and margarine and vanilla in mixer until smooth and creamy. Slowly add Confectioners' sugar. Add a pinch of salt, if needed. Blend until smooth and creamy. Frosts a 9-inch, two-layer cake or generously frosts 12 cupcakes. Store in the refrigerator after a few hours. Frosting will harden, much like butter cream frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment