Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook


My daughter purchased a new book, The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook by Marjorie Hurt Jones, R.N. and I think it is really going to help her provide better meals for her six-year-old. It has been quite a struggle for her lately, because after having him tested for allergies, she had to stop giving him yeast, sugar, egg yolks, tomatoes, oatmeal and most of the things a normal six-year-old eats on any given day.

The recipes she has tried so far from this book have been very good. There are quite a number of crepe-type quick breads, a very good waffle recipe, a pancake recipe he really loves. There are a number of sauce recipes that look very promising, like a plum sauce to replace ketchup, a spaghetti sauce without tomatoes and several sugar-free recipes. There are also several fish dishes like salmon croquettes and a tuna salad that looks promising. We have a lot of recipes to try!

It has been awhile since she has found a cookbook with exciting recipes that can also be adjusted for allergies and taste really good. Before this cookbook, everything she tried fell short. Now there are plenty of things we can try. That's why I really am recommending this book for anyone who feels like they can't have anything good anymore. With these recipes, things just may get a little better.

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a good cookbook, Deberah - thanks for sharing. One of the co-hosts of "The View," Elizabeth Hasselback, has a cookbook out on gluten free cooking. I have seen her prepare several recipes on "The View," as well as "The Chew." These recipes look so delicious. Our family has been eating more vegetables lately and I have been craving them 'more,' the more I eat them. One of my resolutions was to give up diet sodas, which I have - it was pretty tough but I'm feeling much better doing it. Thanks for the inspiration and have a great weekend, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. My Mom talks about The Chew all the time. I will have to look into that and at the cookbook. I admire Elizabeth Hasselback. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. It's amazing to me that there are so many alternatives to traditional favorite recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Deberah - we have Charter cable and they set us up with a DVR...it has become 'Mom's Magic DVR!' I regularly record 'The Chew,' they have so much great information to share! Each of the five hosts brings good information to the table, from Mario Batalli*, Michael Symon*, * (those two know how to cook ANYTHING! ), Carla Hall ** (Quite a character and good Southern Recipes), Daphne Oz***, ***(representing a healthy-point-of-view, she is Dr. Oz's daughter and was raised a vegetarian - it's fun to watch as Mario & Michael 'try to corrupt Vegetarian Daphne' with all the pork recipes! Then there's Clinton Kelly, a fashion stylist who tells hilarious stories and always has a 'fun' cocktail to share!
    You can get all their recipes at thechew.com
    Thank goodness for my DVR - it's great to record a few shows - they are ready to watch, when I get home. I think you'd enjoy the different points of view and all the recipes. Joanie

    ReplyDelete