Friday, January 20, 2012

Leftover Soup


Last night we made leftover soup. There is nothing better for a night that is chilly and busy. This is something I do that makes me feel virtuous. That part of me that learned in my informative years that, "a penny saved is a penny earned" makes this the best meal of the week. It is one of those soups that really depends on what you have in the refrigerator.

If you don't have leftovers, forget it. If you are like me and have a little of this and a little of that, this is easy. Just take a little meat -- in my case, leftover chicken, a bit of rice, some beans -- lentils and garbanzo beans, broth, celery, green onions, parsley and onion flakes and cook until flavors are blended. Add salt an pepper to taste and you have potluck, leftover soup. For me, the chicken wouldn't be necessary but I was not cooking only for myself.

We also cooked up some garbanzo bean flat bread, also called farinata.

Garbanzo Bean Flat bread

1 cup chick pea/garbanzo bean flour
1 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a skillet on the stove and spray with olive oil. Test with a drop of batter until it sizzles in the pan. Pour half of the mixture in the skillet and cook like a pancake, turning once.
Repeat with the second half of the batter. Cut into wedges and serve hot.

This is a great gluten-free recipe.

3 comments:

  1. I love to do things with leftovers too, and yes, it makes me feel virtuous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup looks delicious and I love the blue china, so pretty! Will have to try the recipe for Farinata, yummy!
    Thanks, Joanie

    ReplyDelete