Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Black and Blueberry Cobbler


When I made my mixed berry cobbler over the weekend, I didn't expect it to be quite so tasty. I think the berries, half blackberries and half blueberries enhanced the favors if both berries. I do think the flavor of the blackberries was a little stronger and I do love blackberries better so it suited me just fine.

The pie I made was about the size of three double-crust pies so if you triple the recipe below (which I did) you could duplicate my pie. I intend to make it again soon but I can guarantee it will just be one regular-sized pie.
Black and Blueberry Cobbler
Crust: Makes a double crust ( or use a prepared crust purchased  from a grocery)
1 cup of butter, softened
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour  
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 to 1/2 cup of ice water

Mix butter until it is soft. 
Add flour salt and sugar and mix well with pastry knife. Mixture will clump together and have a grainy appearance. Add ice water by tablespoons cup of ice and mix well. Add more water as needed until the mixture forms a ball. Store in the refrigerator for a few hours. Roll out on a floured board. It would also make two 9" pie crusts. (This pie crust doesn't have to be rolled really thin to be good.)

Cobbler

Double pie crust
3 cups blackberries
3 cups blueberries
3/4 cup of sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour or 3 heaping tablespoons corn starch
1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces


Divide dough into two pieces with one larger than the other. the large piece of dough will bethe   oftom crust and the small one the top crust. 
way. Without the bottom crust.  Mix the blackberries, sugar and flour or corn starch in a mixing bowl, until berries are well coated. I like plenty of fruit. If my pie isn't heaping on the top, I add more fruit. Pour mixture into baking pan. Add the pieces of butter over the top of the fruit mixture. Roll out the top crust and place on top of the mixture. Press sides and top of dough together. Cut slits in the top. Bake at 325 degrees for about twenty minutes and turn the oven up to 375 degrees. Bake for forty minutes more or until pie is golden brown. Remove from oven and serve immediately with ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment