Friday, December 17, 2010

A new Christmas tea


Every year there are interesting products available on the market only during the holiday season. Fruitcake, eggnog and pumpkin spice flavored drinks are just a few examples. I am always looking for a few things that will excite my guests' palates during the holidays. I especially like it when I have a new tea to serve.

That is why I was so excited when my friend, Angela, shared some of her "Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride tea with me. It is one of the Celestial Seasoning holiday blends and I was happy to try it and even happier when I got it home and read the ingredients.

The main ingredient, milk thistle, is a cleansing herb and could really help during the holiday season -- which unfortunately is a season in which I have a tendency to overindulge. But the best thing about it is that my husband really loves it. I mean really loves it. Milk thistle does have a nice milky flavor and maybe that is what he likes. Also, it does taste a bit like sugar cookies. I guess it really tastes a bit like milk and cookies. What is not to like about that.


 Another tea he really likes is Peppermint Tea. I am a bit surprised at that, because it is not a favorite of mine. I like peppermint candy but I don't really enjoy it any other way -- just as candy.
 His very favorite tea is India Spice Chai, but this year I have not been able to find it in the grocery stores.

I can find the Tazo brand which is not quite as good to him, but he will drink most spicy chais, though he does tend to enjoy Celestial Seasonings brand the best.

One year I bought Grandma's Apple Pie Tea and all my female tea drinking guests really enjoyed it but not my husband.

This year I will probably add another holiday flavor or two by Christmas, maybe eggnog -- my favorite. It would be good if I could find a tea with the flavor of eggnog but without all the fat, cholesterol and calories of that yummy (to me) holiday drink. I am thinking a good gingerbread flavor would be nice, too.

All the goodies do call for a good cup of tea. I think this year I will have one treat and two cups of spicy holiday tea. Maybe then I won't have to make so many tough New Year's resolutions.

2 comments:

  1. I love your tea selections, Deberah, especially the Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride! It is delicious and so perfect for this time of year.
    Thanks for sharing, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog today so this comment is a little late but I thought you might appreciate it - Bigelow Teas has a black tea flavored with eggnog - it's called Eggnoggin' and it's available on their website all year round. No affiliations with Bigelow - I just like their teas! And this one is especially delicious!

    ReplyDelete