Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Looking like a garden at last


 My grandson came in this morning and said, "It's November 1st. It's not Halloween anymore." I have to admit I am kind of glad the spooky season is over and we can begin the season of thanks. I can understand why kids really like Halloween. It is so much fun to see them dressed up in costumes and who doesn't like candy? I answered the door last night to a father all decked out in costume with green hair and painted face -- kind of like a giant Oompa Loompa. He smiled at me and said, "Dad's like to have fun, too!

Today, I am all candied out and ready for ... vegetables.

Our garden is beginning to produce some nutritious fall greens and since last week's rain and cooler weather, our greens are really taking off. Above, see our turnip and mustard greens and our large broccoli plants.


I think we will be ready for turnip greens at any time. I can almost taste them now. The collards we will save for awhile. They could be eaten but I am thinking I should wait and pick them when they are really huge. We traditionally have them on New Year's Day but maybe this year we will have them for Thanksgiving. It is time to fertilize them and it would be nice to have more rain.

They look good, don't they?

1 comment:

  1. It looks so nice! Daddy recently sent me home with two huge bags of turnip greens, and they were great!

    ReplyDelete