Thursday, September 24, 2009

A day of hard work

After a day working in the garden, I think it really looks great. The butter beans and green beans are still producing. The peppers are really coming in and I think our garden, overall, looks great. We are beginning to weed the new growth and adding mulch. The mulch should make a huge difference in the coming days. That grass in relentless.

I was a little concerned about the rain. We had so much of it, but right now, the garden seems to be doing just fine.

Above, in the foreground you can see the pea pods peaking out of the mulch and the collards are coming up, but not enough to mulch ... but no garlic yet. You can see a pumpkin plant in the front and the leeks are doing well on the left hand side. The broccoli, cauliflower and parsnips are up but not enough to really see.

The green peas look good above but we are missing a spot. I don't know what happened. It's hard to see the lettuce and spinach, but the kale and turnips are looking good. On the left side of the photo is a brown spot where I am hoping to soon see our potatoes sprouting up.

We ended the day by picking peppers and spraying for insects. We have tons of peppers. The end of my day will be spent pickling peppers.

2 comments:

  1. How many pecks of pickling peppers did you pick? (Sorry, but I couldn't resist!)

    ReplyDelete