Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Today and tomorrow: Brownie receipes

For the next couple of days I will be sharing a couple of brownie recipes. Brownies are almost always a big hit, and these recipes begin with mixes so they are also easy to make.

I buy my mixes when they go on sale "Buy one, get one free," usually at Publix, and I always use a coupon. That gives me around a dollar off on two boxes. The total for each brownie mix is usually less than a dollar. I just can't resist the price and brownie mixes can be so tasty. My favorite kinds are the Betty Crocker Supreme varieties. They are always good, especially then used in this recipe.

I make this recipe for holidays and to take to reunions and family gathering. It is very rich and you can cut down on some of the fat by using skim milk to make the pudding and use Cool Whip Lite or Fat free Cool Whip for the whipped cream layer.

I often make whipping cream to use in this recipe, because I know it doesn't have hydrogenated fat -- which is a problem for some people. I try very hard not to eat anything with trans fats but that can be hard to do with mixes and pre-packaged desserts.

This trifle is made using Hershey's Heath Milk Chocolate bits. I can only find them at Kroger. Without the milk chocolate toffee bits, this recipe wouldn't be nearly as good.

Brownie trifle

1 boxed brownie, cooked according to directions
2 small boxes Jello chocolate pudding
4 cups milk
1 large container of Cool Whip topping, thawed
2 packages Heath milk chocolate toffee bits

Make a brownie mix according to directions. Allow to cool.
Mix 2 small boxes of Jello chocolate pudding with milk. Chill until firm.

Layer ingredients in a trifle bowl in this order:
Crumble 1/2 of brownie and place in bowl.
Pour 1/2 of chocolate pudding over brownie.
Sprinkle on almost all one of the packages of chocolate toffee bits. Put aside 2 Tablespoons of the bits to use on the top of the trifle.
Cover with a layer of cool whip. Make sure the cool whip covers all completely to the sides of the trifle bowl.

Repeat all layers and top with the remaining chocolate toffee bits.

Allow to chill for at least 4 hours.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! This sounds awesome, and the presentation is lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete