Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What to do while waiting for sunshine

We have now had at least five days of rain so there is certainly not any garden news. I think I need to concentrate on things I can do inside. I have two choices: one is preparing and canning peppers and the other is cleaning my house. After a summer of gardening, food preparation and work, my house is certainly in need of a good cleaning.

I know I am probably the millionth person who has recommended this book, but it is the best one I have ever seen on the topic. Some might ask why this book is necessary, because everyone knows how to clean, but I have to disagree. There are so many helpful tips and useful guides included. I think it is the most helpful book I have ever purchased. If I would go by this book, chapter by chapter, I would have a perfectly organized and clean house. I don't do it, but I do aspire to have the perfectly clean and organized home.

I think one of the best things I have learned from this book is that I really don't need to use harsh chemicals. I should start with something more gentle on my furniture and kinder to my health. It is better to use vinegar and water and, if necessary, use something harsher if that doesn't work. I have too often coughed and sputtered, while using bleach when mild detergent would have been better,

I can't really even begin to explain all the hints and tips in this book. It is one of the best reference books I have ever seen for household chores. I even used tips to remove an ugly white spot on my dining room table, made from hot tea seeping through a tablecloth. I don't think I have even scratched the surface of the help I could find in this book. It is not a new book but it is just as relevant as when it was published.

1 comment:

  1. I just wish I had Martha's "assistants" to help me implement all of her cleaning wisdom!

    ReplyDelete