Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Is it a ghost?


No, not at all.

Today, we created this weird-looking creature at my sister's.

I think it kind of looks like a ghost! But it is really our attempt at keeping the birds and deer from eating every last blueberry from the blueberry trees.

We started out with a net I had purchased some time ago. I thought it helped a little but yesterday, I chased some birds out from under the net so I will admit I felt a bit discouraged about it.

Then I thought about the row cover I had--yards and yards of it. I remember passing by Chateau Elan a few years ago and saw them covering their grape vines. I am sure it helps to keep the birds away and helps their harvest. I will admit that their row covering was much neater than ours. We threw the cover over the bushes and secured it either with stakes in the ground or tied the cover with rope. We did leave some places where we can get under the cover to pick blueberries. If we hadn't it would certainly have defeated the purpose.


I don't know if it will work but time will tell. If I were a deer or a bird, this would scare me away. My husband said if the birds get in, they deserve the blueberries. I don't know about that, but this is worth a try.

After the blueberries are gone, we will move the covers to the grapes. Chateau Elan is a pretty successful operation so I think this idea is worth trying.

1 comment:

  1. Hope it works, Deberah! I don't know if you've heard of the natural cures book for the outdoors: seems like I remember hearing about peppermint oil being used as a deterrent in the garden. Good luck saving your blueberries, Joanie

    ReplyDelete