Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Attracting goldfinches


Today I put up my bird feeder and I hope I will soon attract some goldfinches, purple finches, pine siskins and perhaps a few other varieties of birds will stop by on their way to their spring nesting grounds. One year, I had a painted bunting who stopped by for lunch. That was a real treat.

Because of the cooler than normal weather, the birds haven't arrived in droves yet, but I think this will be a good week to attract them. It is hard to judge exactly when they will show up because it all depends on the weather, but I really love seeing them at the feeder. They are so amusing because they take the feeder very seriously, often fighting for their turn. Once they start feeding, more and more of them show up. I think some birds just stop by on their way to far-away places -- at least I like to imagine that is true.

I will try to get photos of them but they are very easy to spook, so I am not sure I will get a one unless it is through the window. Goldfinches like small seed and thistle and they really make a mess around the feeder. The only down side of feeding them is that squirrels are often attracted to the seeds too, and I am not a fan of squirrels. They keep the finches away and can damage a feeder. Some people put slippery cones above or below the feeder to make it much harder for the squirrel to become a nuisance.

1 comment:

  1. My goodness, that is the luxury condominium of birdfeeders! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete