Thursday, March 11, 2010

Trying an ancient "superfood"

This past weekend, while at Whole Foods, I purchased some quinoa (pronounced keen-wah). I have tried this grain-like seed before, but the only time I ever cooked it I thought it was OK but I wasn't overwhelmed.

It seemed like a good time to try it again, since it is touted as a wonderful and versatile "superfood." According to what I have read, it has more protein, calcium and vitamins than cow's milk and beats all grains hands down in the nutrition category.

Quinoa is an ancient Incan food, almost destroyed at one time by the conquering Spanish. It was saved only because it grew wild, thus preserving itself for modern times. It is really growing in popularity because it doesn't contain gluten and is easily tolerated by those who have allergies. It is easy to cook and some prefer it to brown rice. It certainly is better for you than wheat or rice, too.

I bought the quinoa in the bulk section. It was a little pricey compared to other grain-like seeds. We cooked it for breakfast this morning and -- it was very good. You really need to wash it before cooking and it must be stored in the refrigerator or freezer, to prevent it from becoming bitter. But I know I will have it often.

I really enjoyed it much better this time. It was fluffy and only took about 20 minutes to cook. It is a flavor you must get used to, but I thought it was very tasty. It is kind of hard to get over how good it is for you, too. You can also put the cooked quinoa into dishes as a substitute for rice. I will be trying that next. I am looking forward to a nice quinoa salad.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! I've read about this recently and now I'm trying to remember where!

    ReplyDelete