Sunday, March 28, 2010

Repurposing an old dresser: Part 3


Drum roll, please ... here is my finished dresser. I know this is not a great photo but I couldn't get it in daylight and artificial light didn't really do it justice.

I think I really like it. It looks all shiny and new and still smells a bit like polyurethane. I probably will still make some changes. I really would prefer to have the cable box and DVD player somewhere besides the top of the dresser but I thought it would be fine to leave it on top until I can turn the top drawer into a shelf. To do that I will have to take at least one of the drawers out.

At first, I thought about not even refinishing the top two drawers but then I decided if I used the piece as an actual dresser, I would regret that decision. It is more useful this way.

I am going to have to think about how to utilize it as a shelf/drawer combo, but I don't think it will hurt anything to wait. It is already a big improvement and I am sure I will have plenty of comments from my family about what to do to hide the equipment. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Also, I like the drawer pulls, but I am thinking about touching them up with a little stain or black antiquing gel. I have used it before and it really does a good job on hardware. I think I would like to live with the original pulls for now as well, just to be sure.

I am happy with this project. I now have plenty of room for movies. Maybe now I can move on to more important and pressing jobs, like spring cleaning and gardening.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my, this turned out just beautiful! I wouldn't change a thing! It looks like a very high-end piece of furniture now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dresser is beautiful.........I am so excited because I know how it looked before.......what a treasure!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love your work on this dresser! I appreciate the fact that you have included the steps you took - very helpful to see.

    I love visiting your site - great ideas, photos, recipes and tips. Beneficial and fun - you can't beat that!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete