Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Searching for signs of spring

Yesterday I went outside to take some photos because I thought I would find some tangible signs of spring. I did, but I also found that the trees and plants are a little slow in waking up this year.

Above, a sweet gum ball that hasn't yet fallen. If you look at the branch above, you will see the tree is beginning to bud. You might also notice that my lawn is not even slightly green.

My saucer magnolia, also called the tulip tree, is beginning to show signs of blooming -- forming fuzzy buds that will shrink and turn brown as they bloom. On the bare branches, you can see the leaf buds. They remind me of pussy willows at this stage -- just yellow and much larger.


I thought I would find some tulips and I could see they were growing a little, but I really couldn't find anything else. I think it is positive to have a slow beginning to spring. It always makes me sad when things bloom out too quickly and then are ruined by frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment