Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Hot tomato gravy


The other night my husband asked me to make some hot tomato gravy for our peas. This recipe has long been a favorite of our family. My parents always made it for New Year's dinner, and served as a garnish over black-eyed peas, it really dresses up this common southern dish. We had fresh turnips greens, too.


I made a half recipe this time. To prepare, I opened a pint jar of tomatoes, canned from our summer garden and mashed them with a potato masher.


I then stirred in a half cup of sugar, salt and pepper to taste and two jalapeno peppers.


 I usually only use one pepper but these peppers were not very hot.


One thing I need to mention is that this mixture is very bubbly and sometimes I have problems with the mixture boiling over and popping out and burning my hands. That is why I like to start it early and cook it more slowly when I have the time.  


I cook it on medium high for about twenty minutes, stirring often, until it becomes thick and serve it over peas. It is really good over black-eyed peas. We served it over field peas and that was good, too.


On New Year's day we always serve it over peas. According to my husband, the peas, greens and tomato gravy were a preview of coming events.

Hot tomato gravy

1 large can tomatoes, crushed
1 cup sugar
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Simmer in a large saucepan until thickened. Serve over peas.

1 comment:

  1. That gravy looks delicious, I have never heard of this dish before. I love black eyed peas and we always eat them at New Year's. I am going to try this recipe out. Your photos are beautiful - so vibrant! You 'caught' the bubbly mixture, that is a neat photo. Have a great day, Joanie

    ReplyDelete