Monday, November 29, 2010

Rosemary wreaths


At our Thanksgiving Dinner this year I really wanted to share something from our garden. My sister and I put our heads together and came up with using the rosemary that was thriving in our garden. We decided that if we made wreaths to decorate each plate, each person could take the wreaths home, store them in the refrigerator and snip little bits off to use in soups, stews and other dishes. Rosemary is great on potatoes and pork, too.


They weren't hard to make. We just used fine green wire and curved the rosemary stems and tied them, twisted more rosemary and tied it with the wire and then used hot glue to put a lacy bow on our creations. It was very easy and the fragrance was wonderful. Rosemary has a nice smell, kind of like evergreens, but nicer. If you look closely in the arrangement in the center of the table, above, you will also notice that we used rosemary in the arrangement. The cooking smells, plus the rosemary lent a wonderful aroma to the room.


It took a couple of hours for my sister and I to make them on Tuesday, but we stored them in the refrigerator and they were perfect on Thanksgiving. They would also be perfect for Christmas with a pretty red or plaid bow.

You will notice that rosemary can be purchased as little evergreen potted plants. They are usually shaped up like Christmas trees. I almost always buy one to put in my entrance and I add a little light strand to them and it adds a nice smell there, too.

I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving and maybe this little tip will be something you can use in the future.

1 comment:

  1. What a creative idea! I love the scent of Rosemary and it adds such great flavor. Sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving - we did too.
    Take care, Joanie

    ReplyDelete