Thursday, July 2, 2009

"Crabby patties," a healthy alternative to beef

I don't often grill because my husband is the "Grill Meister" in our home but every now and then he has to work late and I do my best. One of the things we love to grill are turkey burgers. On these hot summer days, grilling is the perfect solution to keeping a cool kitchen and turkey burgers are the healthy alternative to hamburgers made with ground beef.

We call our turkey burgers "crabby patties" because our grandson likes the name better. It is, of course, what Sponge Bob cooks on a daily basis and when you are four, it is nice to know you can have the same favorite food as one of your favorite cartoon characters.

My recipe follows, but I also would like to recommend frozen Jennie-O turkey burgers. They can be purchased at Publix and they are an easy alternative to my recipe. I think my recipe is better, but I think things from scratch generally are better.

Barbecued Turkey Burgers

2 lbs ground turkey
2 chopped green onions (or 2 tablespoons finely chopped Vidalia onions)
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
Optional: 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh parsley

Mix all ingredients well and form into 8 small patties or 6 larger ones. Put formed patties onto waxed paper on a plate or small pan and put in the freezer for at least 10 minutes. Prepare the grill by spraying with Pam grilling spray. Turn the grill on medium low and allow to warm for at least 5 minutes. Place patties on the grill. Cook about 8 minutes or until burgers are firm on one side and there are grill marks on the patties. Carefully turn them over. Turn the grill down to low and cook about 10 to 12 minutes more, or until all are well done but still juicy.

Dress your burgers by adding cheese and toppings of your choice. I always use a whole wheat bun. I think it is better, in addition to being better for you. You could also add Monterrey Jack cheese, jalapeno peppers and avocado for a southwestern-style burger.

My grandson's advice was, "flip them up real high," which is after al, the way Sponge Bob would do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment