Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Yes, I can can

Growing up, my sisters and I helped my mother preserve food. We spent a fair amount of time canning and freezing summer produce. I didn't always like it at the time, but now realize what I learned is a huge help to me now. I really don't think I would have had the confidence to preserve my own food without that early experience of food preparation.

I had not canned anything in quite a while but since my small freezer was getting very full, I decided to pick up some canning jars and give it a try.

My mother used to have a chart she checked to be sure how long to pressure the jars. Safety was always our main concern when canning and I wanted to make sure I remembered exactly what steps to take. I decided to look online to see if I could find any good canning guides and I found a great site that gives step-by-step methods and charts for most vegetables. It is part of the University of Georgia cooperative and gives great information. If I didn't know how to can vegetables before, I would by following their helpful guide. Click here to access the handy guide.

My beans are looking good to me and I have two options now for preserving my beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment