Friday, July 24, 2009

Drying tomatoes

A couple of weeks ago I borrowed my sister's food dryer to dry some herbs. I started with basil and then dried some stevia. It works so well and dries so fast. I loved it.

Then I decided to try some tomatoes. It worked even better and they are SO good. Now I can't wait until my smaller tomatoes get ripe so I can dry them. It works even better than I could have imagined! I found out that I really, really, really love dried tomatoes. And they are so expensive in the grocery store. I feel like I am saving quite a bit of money. I am also considering other things like dried fruit. This is really a wonderful way to preserve food.

I really need some dried tomato recipes. Want to share?

2 comments:

  1. We have a dehydrator that looks exactly like that one. I, too, have been experimenting with drying herbs, tomatoes, squash, and even cucumber (don't recommend it). So if you dry the stevia, how much do you use in your tea? (I just read how you use fresh stevia in your hot tea).

    ReplyDelete
  2. With 57 tomato plants, I may need to invest in a dehydrator. I would love to know how you used the dried tomatoes during the winter months.

    ReplyDelete