Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Chocolate cake: Take one

Have you ever tried baking something you weren't completely sure of and it turned out to be completely wonderfully. This was NOT one of those times! I was trying to cook a reasonably good chocolate birthday cake for my son that was also much healthier than a normal cake. I used regular white flour but I also used fat free vanilla yogurt, dates brown sugar and applesauce.

The cake was very dense and I think that was the biggest problem. The taste was OK at best and was not quite as sweet as a normal cake. My son said that part didn't bother him, it was like a very sweet bread. But the texture was my big objection.

It could have been worse. I did learn a few things and this really wasn't the worst cake I have ever tasted. It just wasn't up to the standard I am trying for.

The icing was easy and good and it was just a package of organic chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of soy milk microwaved for a minute and stirred until it was smooth. I iced the cake with that mixture and put just unsweetened strawberry jam in the center. The jam was a good touch.

The best part was the strawberries. I got them at Publix on sale, and they were the best strawberries I have tasted since last spring. If I had just dipped the strawberries in the chocolate, I think it would have been a big success. I just can't picture birthday candles working with strawberries. I will keep working on the recipe and will let you know when I have finished "Take two" -- or "cake two."

1 comment:

  1. I sure wish I could take a bite right now and offer my own critique, because that photo makes it look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete